Monday 2 April 2012

Travelogue: Northern lights in Tromso, Norway

It has always been my dream to see the Northern Lights, or Aurora Borealis. I'm not talking about following in Joanna Lumley's footstep. Since 20 years ago, when I first heard of it, I have been wanting to go. Finally this year, I got the chance of a lifetime.

It was going to be a 2 weeks vacation to Scandinavia with the highlight of the trip - Northern Lights viewing. It has been predicted by astronomers that 2012/2013 will have solar maximum which will result in a high incidence of the Northern lights. This is the reason why we choose 2012 as the year we will go to watch the lights. 

The Northern Lights are usually observed above the Arctic Circle. We chose Tromso in Norway, which is 350km inside the arctic circle. It is also made famous when Joanna Lumley went there in the BBC documentary to catch the Northern Lights. Remember if you decide to go, to book your tours and accommodation early, as most of them get booked up very early.


We joined a bus tour, unlike the others, our guides Anja and Francesco were great. There were photographers, and not only they gave us loads of pointers, they were super enthusiastic and took care of us. I would highly recommend their service to anyone thinking of going to Tromso to see the lights.


Here are their details:

Arctic Guide Services - their facebook page.
Northernshots site where they sell the great photos they took each night.

Without further ado, here are the pictures I took on the 4th March 2012.

















3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I love the photos. I'm interested to go, but wondering if you arrange everything from a tour agency in Singapore or did you just book a flight to Norway and have a local agency that took care the northern lights tour there? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,

    I arranged everything on my own. Booked my flights separately to tromso from Oslo.
    And then booked the northern light tours via the arctic guide service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi
    would like to check with you how do you go about arranging the tour? as i would like to go as a honeymoon trip. thks

    ReplyDelete